Friday, March 19, 2010

Why I don't Ask For Referrals From Non-buyers

When I was selling in people's home, referrals were the most profitable way I could get appointments. I also get referrals in my retail store and speaking business. One thing I don't do, is ask for referrals from people who didn't buy from me.

Here's why;
The person who didn't buy from you had one or more of these thoughts;
1) This offer isn't worth what you are asking
2) This offer won't solve my problems
3) I don't like or trust you...so I won't buy
4) You wasted my time

When the non-buyer talks to the person they referred you to, they are not going to say "Yep, he was a great guy...his price was fair...I thought he had a great product...but I'm just too dumb to buy it". They will always justify why they didn't buy. And in that process, you won't be the hero of the story.

Picture this; would you ever ask a girl out on a date...and after she says "No', ask "Do you know anyone else that would want to go out with me?". Not if you are sane.

I only want people that I see (as a referral) to know people who bought from me. I want to create a picture that everyone that sees me...buys. So I surround the prospect with buyers they know.
Buying almost becomes a matter of "unseen peer preasure". I want prospects to see buying as the normal expected thing to do. I want "not buying" to be seen as the abnormal act.

I can't get that effect from getting referrals from non-buyers.

Plus....do you know who that non-buyer hangs out with? Other non-buyers.

Do I just give up on the non-buyers? No. I repeatedly give them offers, and reasons to want to hear from me. But I never ask for referrals until they buy.

It's the difference between a 15% closing rate and an 80% closing rate. Trust me.

If you own a small business, you really should download my book, The Unfair Advantage Small Business Advertising Manual. at www.local-small-business-advertising-marketing-book.com/

I think you'll like it. Next time, Claude